St Mary’s Elk County

St. Marys is a city in Elk County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 14,502 at the 2000 census. Originally a small, Bavarian Catholic town, St. Marys was founded December 8, 1842. It is home to Straub Brewery and the first Benedictine convent in the United States. In 1992, the borough of St. Marys absorbed the surrounding township of Benzinger and incorporated as a city, though much of the city’s area remains wild.

St. Marys lies in the center of Pennsylvania’s elk country. It is one of the few places east of the Mississippi River that allows hunting of wild elk. The area is known for its access to outdoor activities, including trout streams and state hunting lands inside the city limits.

Geography

St. Marys is located at 41°26′15″N 78°32′34″W (41.437600, -78.542724).

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 99.5 square miles (258 km2), of which 99.3 sq mi (257 km2) is land and 0.2 sq mi (0.52 km2) (0.16%) is water. It is at a relatively high elevation of 1,666 ft (508 m) above sea level. Due to its incorporation of Benzinger Township in 1992, it is the second largest city, in land area, in the state, behind Philadelphia[citation needed]. It is also ranked as the 89th largest United States city by area.

The city is bordered by Jones Township to the north, Cameron County to the east, Fox and Jay Townships to the south, and Ridgway Township to the west.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • RSS
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter

Leave a Reply

Translator
Pages