Sinking Spring

Sinking Spring is a borough in Berks County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,639 at the 2000 census. Sinking Spring was given its name for a spring located in the center of town, the water in which would sink into the ground from time to time, giving it the illusion of having disappeared.

Geography

Sinking Spring is located at 40°19′29″N 76°1′21″W (40.324725, -76.022386).

According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), all of it land.

The Indians who first inhabited this area were the Lenni Lenape Indians (meaning the “original people”). The Tribe in this immediate area was the Minsi or Wolf tribe. They were known to be quite warlike at times. These Indians later became known as the Delawares. This name was given to them by a white man, Lorde de la Ware. Indian inhabitants in the Sinking Spring area supposedly called the main spring as the sunken spring. White settlers later called it the “sinking spring.”

Penn Avenue is the main thoroughfare of Sinking Spring. There is a stone monument in the 3800 block of Penn Avenue. It was placed to identify “The Spring,” which is said to periodically appear and disappear. The Township of Sinking Spring has a large number of underground streams that carve out limestone and form sinkholes; thus the name Sinking Spring.

The Borough of Sinking Spring was incorporated on March 13, 1913.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • RSS
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter

Leave a Reply

Translator
Pages