Du Bois Clearfield County

DuBois (IPA: /ˈduːbɔɪz/ DOO-boys) is a city in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, 91 miles (146 km) northeast of Pittsburgh. It is the principal city in the DuBois, Pa Micropolitan Statistical Area. Settled in 1812, laid out in 1872, DuBois was incorporated as a borough in 1881 and as a city in 1914. While DuBois was founded as a lumber town, the mining of bituminous coal quickly became the chief industry in DuBois, supporting a population of 9,375 in 1900; 12,623 in 1910; 13,681 in 1920; and 12,080 in 1940. The population was 8,123 at the 2000 census. Over the years there have been numerous unsuccessful attempts to combine the city with surrounding Sandy Township.

The town was founded by John Rumbarger, for whom the town was originally named. The Rumbarger Cemetery is all that survives of this original settlement. The town was later renamed for local lumber magnate John DuBois, who came from a longstanding American family of French Huguenot descent.

Geography

DuBois is located at 41°7′13″N 78°45′43″W (41.120304, -78.761962).

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • RSS
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter

Leave a Reply

Translator
Pages