Brownsville

Brownsville

Is a borough in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, United States, 35 miles (56 km) south of Pittsburgh along the Monongahela River. In 1940, 8,015 people lived here. The population was 2,804 at the 2000 census.

History

Because of the mysterious mounds believed to be a prehistoric fortification by colonial settlers, Brownsville began as Redstone Old Fort and later in the 1760s – 70s eventually became known as Redstone Fort or by the mid-1760s, Fort Burd — named eponymously after the officer commanding the forts establishment in 1759[4]. The fort was constructed on the bluff above the river on what may have been an fortification or burial ground of native peoples during the French and Indian War, and which stockade was later occupied and garrisoned by a force from the Colony of Virginia during the 1774 Indian war known as Lord Dunmore’s War, as it was situated at the important strategic end of Nemacolin’s Trail, the western part to the summit — which when improved, later became known as ‘Burd’s Road’ — an alternative route down to the Monongehela River valley from Braddock’s Road, which George Washington helped to build. Washington also came to own vast portions of the lands on the opposite bank — in honor of which, Pennsylvania named Washington County, the largest of the state.

Geography

Brownsville is located at 40°1′12″N 79°53′22″W / 40.02°N 79.88944°W / 40.02; -79.88944 (40.020026, -79.889536) situated on the east (convex) side of a broad sweeping westward bend in the northerly flowing Monongahela River at the westernmost point of Fayette County. Erosion undercutting action by the river on the surrounding characteristically steep-sided sandstone hills has created several shelf-like benches and connecting sloped terrain and thereby given the town lowland areas adjacent to or otherwise accessible to the river shores. Much of the town’s residential buildings are built above the elevation of the business district arrayed upslope to either side along the connecting slopes and shelves cut by the geological action of long ago when the river bed moved gradually westward leaving the lowered shelves and slopes behind.

Concurrently, the opposite river shore of Washington County is, uncharacteristically for the region, shaped even lower to the water surface and is generally flatter and more plain-like than the more diverse geology of the towns lands. That shore holds a tightly bound mirror community of about a fifth the size, a small hamlet called West Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Historically the low height of the concave shore of the river have made the river banks at the locii of two towns attractive as a natural river crossing, ferry, bridge, and boat building site. When the nascent United States government first appropriated funds for its first ever road building project, Brownsville, was an early intermediate target destination along the new National Road. Until a bridge was built, it was the western terminus.

Source: Wikipedia

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • RSS
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
Translator
Pages